Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Turning haters into lovers.

Of zucchini, that is. You've already heard me whine about my haters. The thing is, my other boss knows I'm not a hater and stopped by with baseball bat sized zucchini the other day. I lugged the thing home so I had to make use of it. It was too big for any of my savory tastes, so I scooped out the seeds and grated it up.

You'll never know it's in this moist, chocolately quick bread-like cake. I sent a batch to Hank's office and 10 minutes after his arrival, he sent a message that said "Gone in 60 seconds". My office was pretty quick to eat them up, too. Sprinkle chocolate chips into anything and curiously Hank and The Boss are suddenly interested.

This recipe was handed down from a childhood friend's mom. I recall eating these squares during the summers during pre-teen years.

So turn your zucchini hater into a lover while the zucchini is a plenty!Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Sneak a piece of this when it's still warm and the chocolate chips are still melty. You'll thank me.

2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup melted butter
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
4 TBSP cocoa powder (I used a dark chocolate variety, but the standard cocoa is just fine. Your end result just won't be as dark in color)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Mix all wet ingredients thoroughly, then stir in zucchini. Mix dry ingredients together and then stir into wet ingredients and mix well.

Spread batter in a 9X13 pan. Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if you wish once it's cool.

recipe note: often times I just use vegetable oil instead of the butter

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love zucchini cake and bread. I will definitely be trying this :)