Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Zucchini cakes

You might surprised to find that even though I love, love, love zucchini, I didn't plant any in my own garden. I hope to rectify this next year since I found a bush variety that doesn't take up as much space. Fortunately, I know a few people who love to give them away to me!

The thing is, I live with zucchini haters! The nerve! They'll only eat it if it is in a sweet cake form. Sometimes I just have to think of myself and prepare to be ridiculed during dinner. It's ok, I'm tough and there's just more for me!Zucchini Cakes
2 cups zucchini, grated
1 egg
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4-1/2 cup all purpose flour (I start with 1/4 cup and mix and then check the batter consistency. If it's too runny, add a little more flour)
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (you could use the same amount of parmesan if you want)
freshly ground black pepper to taste

After grating the zucchini, sprinkle salt over it which will allow the excess water to drain out of the zucchini. This may take about an hour. Drain the water and then squeeze any remaining liquid out of the zucchini. Mix zucchini, onion, egg, and flour together until thoroughly combined. Stir in feta cheese and black pepper.

Heat a non stick skillet with 1-2 TBSP olive oil. Place small little piles of zucchini mixture into your skillet and gently flatten each one so that each cake is an even thickness. Allow them to sizzle away for about 3-4 minutes per side. You want each side to be a golden brown. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I will never grow zucchini. There is always someone with too much. I have 4 at home. I have used one and another I pawned off on an unsuspecting guest. I love your addition of feta in the zucchini cake recipe. Your recent food posts are totally filling out my weekly menus! Thank you :o)

Amy said...

We got a friend's CSA delivery this week that included 6 zucchini...and I live with haters, too. Thanks for the idea!