Saturday, February 6, 2010

When life gives you snow...

make snow ice cream.

Friends, I never thought I'd whip up a dessert using snow, but it happened tonight and I'm here to sing praises. Thanks to Facebook, I saw many mentions of this so called snow ice cream. A quick search on that handy ole internet lead me to a link to a Paula Deen recipe. Um, isn't she from Georgia? Well, anyway, with my Kitchen Aid bowl full of fluffy white snow (we're just going to believe for the moment there is nothing worse in that snow than say any packaged snack food we've eaten in the past), one can of sweetened condensed milk and some vanilla and we had ourselves an awesome treat. Seriously, it was really good.

And it just so happened to transport my husband back to a time when he was visiting family in Japan. Funny how flavors can do that to a person. He's tried to replicate a dessert he had during that trip and has never succeeded. This dessert was basically the flavor and texture of snowcream mixed with sweetened red bean paste (azuki). We always have this on hand so he gave it a whirl and tonight he found success. Apparently, it just takes a snowstorm.

You may be thinking that the last thing you want to eat is something cold when you are blanketed in snow, but I live with Lord of the Fire and we're quite toasty...

When we weren't eating snow ice cream, we definitely had our fun playing in that snow and getting our cardio attempting to dig ourselves out of it.

I hope you are safe and warm where you are.Snow Ice Cream
adapted from Paula Deen

8-10 cups fluffy white snow (do I have to tell you that it has to be white?)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla
azuki bean paste (optional)

Mix sweeteened condensed milk with 2 tsp vanilla in a large bowl. Add in snow until it is mixed very well. Serve in bowls and top with a tablespoon of azuki to mix in. Enjoy the novelty of the experience.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Jen inspired you too? I was really happy with mine. Jackson was crazy for it :)